The Elements and Principles of Design
You will be entering the world of Visual Communications by finding examples of the different elements and principles of design, in advertising and photography.The students will use these elements and principles of design to analyze photography and advertising with a new perspective of what the artist/advertiser is attempting to do.
1. Define each of the 7 Elements and 7 Principles of design - see posters.
2. Create a book.
3. Cut your own background pages from construction paper - (MUST all be same size)
4. Cut your front and back covers from bristol board - (same size as book pages)
5. PRINT the label and description of each of your examples. Lettering is important here. So is spelling.
6. Create a cover design to reflect the content of your book.
7. Work cooperatively with your partner, if you are working with one.
8. Bind book creatively when it is completed.
9. Learn to look at photography and advertising in magazines, and other sources, in a whole new way and hopefully have a better understanding of what the artist was attempting to do.
Design is the structure of art, with the elements and principles unifying the different
parts and giving the work visual order. The elements and principles are always used
in combination and therefore, work together to create a composition with a good
Find examples of the following: Any 15
1. An Old Master/Famous Painting used in, or as part of an advertisement (ad).
2. Ad/photo showing ELEMENT of LINE.
3. " " " of SHAPE.
4. " " " of FORM.
5. " " " of VALUE.
6. " " " of TEXTURE.
7. " " " of SPACE.
8. " " " of COLOUR.
d) Monochrome colours
e) Warm colours
f) Cool colours
9. Ad/photo showing PRINCIPLE of BALANCE.
10. " " " of MOVEMENT.
11. " " " of CONTRAST.
12. " " " of PATTERN.
13. " " CLOSE UP of point of view.
14. " " CLEVER USE OF ITEMS.
15. " " SHOWING MIRROR IMAGE
16. Ad/photo SHOWING DIAGONAL
17. " " " SHOWING ILLUSION
18. " " SHOWING COMEDY
To encourage the use of various skills that one can use in the graphic arts environment.
To learn the skills and importance of time management and meeting deadlines.
To learn about and identify the elements and principles of design.
To learn and develop presentation methods.
Student Learning Outcomes
Learning Resources Required
Print - Articles About The Elements and Principles of Design
Electronic - Computer Hardware
Electronic - Computer Software