Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour


On-Line Exhibits












Return to exhibit list

Charlottetown 1855 - 2005


PARO Acc. 2320/58-2

Queen Charlotte, 1765

"Prince Edward Island was called St. John's Island after it was taken over by the British in 1763." The Surveyor General, Captain Samuel Holland, suggested the current site of Charlottetown should be one of the primary Island towns. In 1765 Charlotte Town became the capital city of the province. The above image from the Charlottetown Camera Club Collection is of Queen Charlotte, consort of George III, after whom the city of Charlottetown is named.

Source: Supplement to the Journal Pioneer, 24 November 1966

Photo number 1 of 13

Next photo >     


To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.