Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour


On-Line Exhibits












Return to exhibit list

Island Lighthouses


PARO Acc. 3466/HF 77.239

Point Prim Lighthouse and Fog Alarm, circa 1920

Architect of Province House and Fanningbank, Isaac Smith also designed the Point Prim lighthouse -- Prince Edward Island's first. In 1845, his design for a round Island brick structure was accepted by the Legislative Assembly and was built by Richard Walsh. Sixty-five feet above water and visible from 13 miles, the light was first lit on 4 December 1845. Two years later, the structure was studded, boarded and shingled.

Photo number 2 of 8

< Previous photo     Next photo >     


To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.