Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour


On-Line Exhibits












Return to exhibit list

Island Lighthouses


PARO Acc. 3466/HF 77.239

Souris Main Lighthouse, 1923

Lighthouses became a federal responsibility after Prince Edward Island joined Confederation in 1873. In 1879, Mr. Tomlinson, Chief Engineer of Lighthouses selected the site for the Souris Main Lighthouse which began operation in December 1880. In October 1881, tenders were called for a lighthouse dwelling. The demolition and replacement of the lighthouse keeper's quarters was announced in January 1959 by John A. MacDonald, Member of Parliament for Kings County.

Photo number 4 of 8

< Previous photo     Next photo >     


To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.