Panmure Island Lighthouse and Fog Alarm, circa 1920
Politicians Hugh MacDonald and Joseph Wightman, reported to the House of Assembly in 1853 on their search for an appropriate location for the Panmure Island lighthouse. The sum of twenty pounds was paid to Archibald Macdonald for one acre of his land and a right of way through his field to access the lighthouse site. By 1861 several repairs for the lighthouse were necessary -- painting, a fence to keep pigs from digging away the foundation, new lamps, and more insulation around its windows. Maintenance of lighthouses was a local government responsibility until Confederation.