Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour


On-Line Exhibits












Return to exhibit list

Island Lighthouses


PARO Acc. 3466/HF 77.239

Darnley Basin Outer Range Light, 1919

The two range lights at Darnley Basin were fitted with green catoptric lights, the Darnley Point range lights were red. Shifting sands at the harbour openings caused by weather and tides were a hazard to navigators. Lighthouses in areas of possible moving sands, particularly along the north shore, were constructed so that their locations could be altered to assist, rather than hinder, navigation. Some early navigational lights were simply lamps at the end of poles in the sand.

Photo number 7 of 8

< Previous photo     Next photo >     


To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.