Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour

On-Line Exhibits

Return to exhibit list

Island Lighthouses

PARO Acc. 3466/HF 77.239

Fish Island Lighthouse, 1913

Between Malpeque Bay and the Gulf of St. Lawrence lies Fish Island. Samuel Holland called it Billhook Sand in 1765 and noted that the fishery was located there. A Fish Island lighthouse has been operating since at least 1879. Belcher's Farmers' Almanac would have been an indispensable guide for mariners as they list very specifically the location, ranges and colours of lighthouses, buoys and fog alarms signals in the region. The 1919 Almanac warns mariners of sand bars and the possibility of sand blocked channels at the entrances of many Prince Edward Island north shore harbours. Ranges of lights leading into harbours could be changed without special notice -- mariners were advised not to cross the sand bars without local assistance.

Photo number 1 of 8

Next photo >     

To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.