Government InfoPEI Business Employment Visiting the Island

Community, Cultural Affairs and Labour

On-Line Exhibits

Return to exhibit list

Island Lighthouses

PARO Acc. 3466/HF 77.239

Seacow Head Lighthouse, circa 1920

Built by a New Brunswick contractor in 1864, the Seacow Head lighthouse stood 70 feet high. The lighthouse keeper's residence was built in 1879, prior to that, however, the family occupied the second and third floors of the lighthouse. Developments in lighting technology has led to the inevitable automation of lighthouses. Continuous lighthouse service began in 1917 when a daily car-ferry service was established between Borden and Cape Tormentine.

Photo number 3 of 8

< Previous photo     Next photo >     

To see more of the images from this and other collections visit the Public Archives and Records Office, 4th Floor, Hon. George Coles Building, Richmond Street in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

The Official Website of the Government of Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Please read our Copyright and Privacy Policies.