The contract for building the Prince Edward Island Railway in 1872 called for an extensive series of shops and a roundhouse (seen in the background). Several of the Island-sandstone buildings were large enough to accommodate rail cars. In December 1904 a fire destroyed the car shop. Half of the building shown in this photo was later demolished. Part of the structure survives today as the Charlottetown Visitor Information Centre.