Souris Regional School
Notes for Athletes & Parents
- Students who participate in extra-curricular activities are expected to be good ambassadors of the school.
This means that they should show respect for coaches, officials, opponents, and themselves and exhibit
good sportsmanship at all times.
- Membership on an athletic team is dependent upon good attitude, consistent work habits, and
satisfactory academic performance.
- Foul language, smoking, drinking, or drug use will not be tolerated.
- Before the season's first game, players must give participation forms (signed by a parent or guardian)
and school sport fees to a member of the athletic department. Fee amounts are dependent upon season
length and help to defray the cost of referees, equipment, and travel.
- Sport Fees are used to help pay for officials,
travel, equipment, and tournament registrations. For basketball in
particular, a player's fee actually covers only about one-third of the cost
per season. The remainder is paid through school and travel budgets.
- Players are expected to show commitment to the team and are expected to attend all practises, games,
and team meetings. In cases where it is impossible to be in attendance due to sickness, injury, or another
valid reason, the coach or athletic director should be notified beforehand.
- Players are required to give Athletic Leave forms to any teacher whose class they will miss, due to the team leaving
early for a game. This form must be delivered to the teacher at least one day in advance of the game. Players are responsible for all work covered and
any assignments given during the class.
- If school is cancelled, there will be no games or practises held that day.
- Players who have been absent from school without approval or who have been suspended will not be
allowed to play on that day.
- Equal playing time is not guaranteed for all players.
Before the season begins coaches should try to give
each individual an idea of what playing time they may expect.
- Uniforms are the property of the school, to be worn only during games, washed after each game, and
turned in to the coach or a member of the athletic department immediately after the end of the season.
- Players are to travel with the team on the bus provided by the school. Other travel arrangements will be
permitted only in exceptional circumstances, with prior written permission from
parents and approval
by the school administration. Food and drinks are not allowed on any of the buses.
Misbehaviour on a bus may result in expulsion from the team.
- Sport PEI Insurance has been purchased by the school and covers any athletic injuries which are not
already covered by an individual's personal insurance company. An injury which results in a player
being sent to the doctor or which keeps a player out of the line-up for games or practices requires an
injury report to be filled out at the school. The report will be passed on to the PEISAA and to the
insurance company within 30 days so that any future claims or payments will be valid.
- If players or parents have any serious problems or concerns, discussion should first take place with the
team captain or coach. If this is not satisfactory, contact can be made with a member of the athletic
department or school administration.
Contacts at Souris High (687-7130)
Karen Aucoin-Smith Athletic
Randy MacIntyre Physical Education Teacher