Southern Kings Consolidated School explore    achieve    celebrate   
  Montague RR4 Prince Edward Island, Canada, C0A 1R0  
 
Principal Teachers Parents Students  
Directory
Home
Welcome
Newsletter
Staff
Home & School
H & S News
Calendar
Handbook
Technology
Library
Sports
Core French
Cyber Yearbook
Contact Us
E. School District
Dept. of Education
SKC
School Community of Lower Montague

by Sarah
Introduction
The Early People of Lower Montague
Past Businesses
Entertainment
Changes in Local Properties
Changes in Family Names
Acknowledgements

Introduction

The community of Lower Montague is located on the Montague River in Southern Kings County in eastern Prince Edward Island on the east coast of Canada. This area is approximately 5 km east of the town of Montague, and 40 km east of Charlottetown, the Island's capital city and birthplace of Confederation.

Like other parts of Prince Edward Island, Lower Montague has mild weather. The daytime temperatures are comfortable and moderate; from the onset of spring to the end of summer, they usually range from 8 to 30 degrees Celsius; from autumn to winter's end, the temperatures normally range from 8 to -10 degrees Celsius.

Lower Montague has undergone many changes over the years; like many communities on the Island, it is rich in historical background and its people have great pride in its heritage.

The Early People of Lower Montague

The first white settlers arrived in 1732; they were the Acadian French people associated with the DeRoma settlement in Brudenell. They inhabited Lower Montague from 1732 until the expulsion of the Acadians in 1758. Then, for about a period of 19 years, Lower Montague had no inhabitants. In 1775, the first British settlers arrived on a ship from Dumfries, Scotland; one of the first families was the Aitkens. The settlers experienced many hardships, including the harsh winters of Lower Montague. The people today do not experience the hardships that the early settlers endured, because the winters are not nearly as severe.

Past Businesses

Lower Montague was a self-sufficient community in the earlier years of existence. In 1880, there were four forges, four lime kilns, two stores, a church, a school, a lobster factory, and numerous farmers.

ferry

There was a ferry connection to Georgetown from Lower Montague, located about 1 km east of the present day wharf. The ferry carried about 12 horses and wagon carts, and in later years, vehicles. Many doctors and other important figures of society came to Lower Montague from Georgetown. The doctors had to be shared between communities because there was a scarcity of them. The ferry began operation in 1838 after the recommendations made by Mr. Thomson and Roger Westaway to the town of Georgetown. Fifteen pounds was granted for the building of the wharf. It was operated by a company from the United States. The ferry ceased operation in 1953 with the promise that the road from Lower Montague to Georgetown would be paved.

One of Lower Montague's two stores was the Poole's store, built in 1888. This store was relied on heavily by the citizens of the community. It was a general store which sold just about everything that was necessary for people to live. Many ships would come into the wharf near the store to transport the store's merchandise. The original building was torn down and a new structure was built, but Poole's ceased operating as a general store in 1964. There is no store in Lower Montague today. However, the newer building is still standing, and stores fishing equipment.

Lower Montague once had a saw and grinding mill called Herb's Mill, located on the French Creek Road. The mill was built in the early 1900's, and was in use until 1944. It was believed that the last miller was Billy Thompson. Today the original mill is no longer standing.

There was a church in Lower Montague, located across from the present day cemetery, that was built in 1922. It was used often by the early citizens of Lower Montague and was in the center of the community. However, the church building is now a residence.

In the early 1900's, Jim Hewitt ran a canning factory that processed lobster, clams and hake that were brought in by the local fishermen. There was also a shipbuilding operation run by the Cameron family, but not much is known of the details.

Many of the historic buildings have either been dismantled, torn down, or remodelled; most of them weren't rebuilt because there was no need for them when schools consolidated, and people went to Montague to shop, can fish, and to take wood to the mill.

In the 1800's and early 1900's, most of the residents worked at fishing, farming, and shipbuilding, and many people still work in the fishing and farming industries. However, shipbuilding is no longer a business in Lower Montague. Citizens who don't participate in these occupations work in the local service industries.

One business that has changed but still continues today in Lower Montague is mail delivery. The postman would deliver the mail by horse and sleigh; people referred to it as the Little Red Caboose. It was owned by mail driver Murdock MacKenzie. Today, the mail is delivered by car by Kenny King.

Entertainment

The way of life for Lower Montague residents has changed dramatically over the years. A certain aspect of their life that has changed is the way people entertain themselves. Nowadays, many people watch TV. and play computer games for entertainment. In earlier years, however, there were no T.V.'s or computers; people found other means of entertaining themselves.

In the early 1900's, the people of Lower Montague did various activities; they enjoyed dances and parties at the community school, where folks were asked to play instruments such as the fiddle, the guitar, and the spoons. For many, these events were the highlights of their lives, since they worked hard all the time.

Young children looked forward to the Christmas pageants and concerts at the school each years. The children would either tap dance or perform a talent that they had. It was fun and very entertaining for them.

Many people anxiously waited for summer to arrive so that they could enjoy summer picnics at St. Andrew's Point. Folks would travel there on horse and flat cart. Community picnics were a time to socialize with friends and to tell stories to children. Storytelling was a favorite pastime for most people, especially children. Adults would also tell stories to children before bedtime.

In the 1940's, people were enjoying the treat of listening to the radio. A favorite program among the younger children of Lower Montague was called Fibber McGee's Closet. Also, the radio was a new way of receiving the local news; adults appreciated this new convenience.

Since children did not have board games, they had to make up their own games. A favorite was the horseshoe game where children would toss iron horseshoes onto an iron post; this was also popular with the adults.

Changes in Local Properties

Many farm properties have lost buildings and barns that had once been used. In most cases, all that remains of the property is the farmhouse and the land. Most of the homesteads were very large and often sheltered large families. One farmhouse in particular, that was formerly owned by Albert and Fanny Horton who were formerly from Murray River, was used as a type of bed-and-breakfast for people travelling on the ferry. They would store the passengers' horses in the buildings on the property. The homestead was adjacent to the ferry dock and was used for this purpose between 1911 and 1930. This house is still standing, but is home to the MacDonald family.

In the early 1900's, houses in Lower Montague were usually built with verandahs. Many of the older homes existing today have been remodelled or rebuilt, which often involved taking away some of their unique features.

Changes in Family Names

Some families have lived in Lower Montague for many years; they include the Aitkens, the MacKenzies, and the Pooles. However, other families such as the MacDonalds, the Campbells, and the Fitzpatricks who presently live in Lower Montague have ancestors originating from other communities.

Acknowledgements

I'd like to thank the following people for helping me complete the research on my community. They gave me useful information and pictures from the past. Thank you very much to Corena Gairns, Christine Ellsworth, and Albert Ellsworth.

Gaspereaux | Guernsey Cove | Little Sands | Lower Montague
Murray Harbour | Murray Harbour North | Murray River | Panmure Island
Peters Road | Sturgeon | White Sands | Home | SKC Homepage

pawprints